Thursday, January 04, 2007

Apocalyptic Zombie Horror + Valley Girls = Genius

Nobody's the phone company anymore!Got home from work late tonight, put on the boob tube, flipped through the many movie channels that show the same damn movies all the time, and then—I struck gold, Jerry, gold! One of the Flix channels was playing Night of the Comet, a stupidly awesome movie I haven't seen in many, many years.

Shortly after it came out in 1984, it made the rounds on HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax. Among those three channels, it seemed like it was on about a dozen times a day. And 13-year-old me watched it every time.

This personal history was clear when, watching it again for what must have been the first time in nearly 20 years, I found I still pretty much knew all the dialogue and even the choreography.

In short, this movie sucks in the best possible way, which means it really rules. It's a great blend of dumb comedy, armageddonish horror, 1980s kitsch, and goofy sci-fi. It obviously owes a lot to George Romero, plotwise and thematically, but it's much more lighthearted. And features Cyndi Lauper music.

The good news is it's finally going to be released on DVD this March. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this jackass movie, so maybe I'll pick up a copy.

(Also, it seems I'm not the only one who recognizes NOTC's brilliance. I feel simultaneously validated and bummed out that others know my secret.)


Daddy would've gotten us Uzis.