Friday, January 13, 2006

A Field Guide to Beer Tastings, Part I

As both my readers know, I regularly volunteer to pour at Arbor Brewing's monthly beer tastings. Over the past year, I've seen not only a lot of the same specific individuals each month, but I've also noticed distinct patterns or categories that many tasters fall into. For a while now I thought a field guide to the various types you meet at a beer tasting would be a good idea. Since I doubt I'll ever actually sit down and write a field guide, I figured my blog was the next best thing. So here goes the first entry in a potentially ongoing series.

The Pointer

Description: The Pointer is a man (and it's almost always a man) of few words. He knows which beer he wants to try and he's not afraid to not ask for it. ...The typical encounter involves the Pointer suddenly materializing in front of the table and forcefully extending a finger toward his beer of choice. He exudes a portentous silence reminiscent of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come refusing to speak to Scrooge about the name on the tombstone. Upon receiving his beer, he just as mysteriously melts back into the crowd.

Typical comment: "..."