Friday, February 15, 2008

Why I Do Not (And Will Not) Vote for President

Antiwar columnist Arthur Silber, in a, um, forthright essay entitled "Most of You Will Eat Shit Until the Day You Die," succinctly explains the reason I won't be one of the dumbasses voting for U.S. emperor this or any other year:

I'll be blunt, even rude: You can call it Republican shit. You can call it Democratic shit. You can call it progressive shit. It's still shit. It's still murder, and torture, and criminal war, and a growing surveillance state. If you vote for the Democratic or the Republican candidate for president -- and if you vote for almost any of the candidates for national office -- you're voting for murder. You're voting for torture. You're voting for criminal war. You're voting for the growing surveillance state.

Is that what you choose to do? Is that what you choose to support? Is it?
Without going to jail -- increasingly the place for any American with a conscience -- I can't stop financing murder, torture, and creeping totalitarianism. But by God I won't clap my hands and say "yeah" while doing it. Eventually voting for the emperor and his consuls will be made mandatory, but so long as it isn't I choose to disassociate myself from their crimes.

All that high school civics class bullshit is just that: bullshit.