Friday, September 22, 2006

We Are Going to Make a Sandwich with Wisconsin Cheese

Random thoughts on a Friday...

Brett JosephIn the world of my uncledom, the nephews now outnumber the nieces with the arrival this week of one Brett Joseph. I'm sure I'll get to meet the little bugger soon.

Any bets on when the first major election will be affected by a Google search on one (or more) of the candidates? I mean, to some extent it's probably already happened. But what I'm talking about is when we reach a time when practically one's whole life and opinions can be dug out of Internet searches. Creating "images" or "re-inventing" yourself will be much more difficult, if not impossible, in the age of the digital trail. (Unless, of course, you are a Bill Clinton type and know at the age of 6 months that you're going into politics and thus avoid the Internet like the plague.) Politics aside, the social ramifications of being able to Google (yeah, yeah, suck it, trademark police) anyone are interesting to ponder. (See, .e.g, the "dating background check" skit with Rosanna Arquette and Steve Guttenberg in the generally execrable Amazon Women on the Moon or The Final Cut with Robin Williams.) Meanwhile, I know my career in politics is most likely over before it's begun, thanks to this blog, among other things. And I really do mean "thanks"!

It looks like it's going to rain on my Saturday football parade. I'd better find a poncho to take to the noontime game against Wisconsin. For any nonpsycho, nonkleptomaniacal readers in the area, feel free to drop by the house tomorrow for a day of eating, drinking, and loafing. Especially if you are a cute girl. Already have one keg (blonde from the Corner Brewery), probably will have another lined up by tonight. As John Blutarski would say, grab a beer, don't cost nothin'.

Merry weekend to all, and to all a grilled cheese sandwich. Fromage, bitches.