Tuesday, January 10, 2006

It's Carnival Time!

No, not the kind of carnival that features cotton candy, crappy stuffed animals, and clunky, scary-looking rides erected by unshaven, hungover dudes with tattoos. It's the carnival that began the evening of January 5 (AKA Twelfth Night) -- the time we Catholics (and others) say "farewell to the flesh" in preparation for the much more austere season of Lent. What this means in practice is plenty of eating, drinking, and being merry, culminating in the raucous chaos of Mardi Gras.

Speaking of Mardi Gras, my friend Alan, who has been threatening to move back to New Orleans, went and did just that. His revamped blog will be a good one to watch for a front-line view of the city as it tries to get back on its feet. Which reminds me of this article that says everything we think we knew about the Katrina disaster has been effectively debunked. Knowing what I do about the way the media works, I can't say as I'm that surprised. Makes me think of that old joke about the Washington Post headline announcing the impending destruction of Earth: "World Ends Tomorrow: Women, Minorities Hardest Hit."

So, anyway, I was tentatively planning a Mardi Gras party for the Saturday before Fat Tuesday (February 25), but there's a big beer event that coincides, and many of my friends will probably be doing that instead. Would it be too gauche to have the party the week before, February 18? Who's available then?